This policy is updated from time to time. The latest version is published on this page and was updated on 15/05/2018
For questions about this policy, please email emma @ discover.film
Right to be forgotten
We are compliant with GDPR. If you believe that we might be storing any information about you and you would like to know what this is, please email emma @ discover.film with your first name, last name and email address from the email address that you want to enquire about and we will provide you with an electronic copy of information that we are storing. If you would like us to permanently delete all the information that we are storing about you, please again write to us with your first name, last name and email from the email that you want information removing about and we will remove all information about you form our systems within 28 days.
We gather and use certain data about individuals in order to provide those individuals with access to the films on this websites and, in particular, to enable registrations and subscriptions to this website and to create member profiles. We control access to the films and member profiles on this site to real people (rather than algorithms) by asking people to give us their email address (and then confirm that it works by changing their password) before they can create a member profile.
We also collect information to better understand how visitors use this website and to present timely, relevant information to them.
The data that we gather
We collate the following information:
- Contact information (including Email address)
- Website usage data
- From time to time, other data that you give to us via surveys (e.g. demographic data)
- Other information pertaining to special offers
This information is collected from information that you choose to provide to Discover.film (e.g. by filling out forms and completing surveys).
How we use this data
Collecting this data helps us understand what you are looking for with films, enabling us to deliver an improved range of films on the website.
Specifically, we may use data:
- For our own internal records
- To improve the content on the Discover.film website
- To contact you in response to a specific enquiry
- To customise the website for you
- To send you a newsletter emails about products, services, offers and other things we think might be relevant to you (we will contact you no more than once per month and you can opt out of this contact at any time. We will only contact you when you have specifically opted in to our email service which we will make clear to you).
- To contact you via email, telephone or mail for market research reasons (again only if you have specifically and clearly given us permission to do this).
Cookies and how we use them
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file placed on your computer’s hard drive. It enables our website to identify your computer as you view different pages on our website.
Cookies allow websites and applications to store your preferences in order to present content, options or functions that are specific to you. They also enable us to see information like how many people use the website and what pages they tend to visit and how long they stay on those pages.
- Analyse web traffic using the Google analytics. In this case, aggregated usage data helps Discover.film improve our website structure, design, content and functions.
- Identify whether you are signed in to our website. A cookie allows us to check whether you are signed in to the site (or whether you need to register).
- Store information about your preferences. The website can then present you with film information that you will find more relevant and interesting.
- To recognise when you return to our website (so that you don’t always have to fill out the sign-up form). We may show your relevant films and content, provide functionality you used previously, and sometimes, log you in automatically (if you have selected this option).
Please note that doing this may affect how this website functions (if cookies are disabled, some pages and services may become unavailable to you).
Controlling information about you
Sometimes, when you fill in a form or provide your details on discover.film, you will see one or more tick boxes allowing you to:
- Opt-in or opt-out to receive marketing communications from us by email
You can change your newsletter preferences under your profile or send an email to emma @ discover.film or unsubscribe when you receive a newsletter from us (this option will be clearly available at the bottom of the newsletter).
Any personal that information we hold about you is stored and processed under our data protection policy, in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Discover.film will always hold your information securely, on a firewall and complex password protected database where IP addresses are monitored and screened.
To prevent unauthorised disclosure or access to your information, we have implemented robust physical and electronic security safeguards including using a secured server to secure our databases, https, using a firewall and enforcing strong password protection.
We also follow stringent procedures to ensure we work with all personal data in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Links from our site to external content
Our website contains links to other websites, particularly YouTube, Vimeo and other film sharing sites. These links are sometimes embedded and sometimes it’s a direct link. When a direct link, we’ll inform you with text under the link.